Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

FOOD ADJECTIVES - LEARN SOME USEFUL WORDS FOR DESCRIBING FOOD

FOOD ADJECTIVES - LEARN SOME USEFUL WORDS FOR DESCRIBING FOOD 


MEANING: “Sweet” food has got a lot of sugar in it.
EXAMPLE: “This cake is just too sweet for my liking.”


MEANING: A strong flavour that is the opposite of sweet.
EXAMPLE: “I can’t drink this black tea without sugar in it – it’s too bitter.”


MEANING: “Spicy” food has spices in it like cumin, curry powder, chilli powder, pepper, etc.
EXAMPLE: “The meat was served with a spicy tomato and coriander sauce.”


MEANING: “Hot” food is very spicy and makes your mouth burn when you eat it.
EXAMPLE: "This curry is really hot. I ate just a little bit and had to drink a pint of water."


MEANING: “Salty” food has got a lot of salt in it.
EXAMPLE: “The soup was nice, but it was really salty.”


MEANING: “Greasy” food has a lot of oil in it.
EXAMPLE: “The pizza is really greasy. Look at all the oil that’s come off it.”


MEANING: If you’re “full”, you’ve eaten enough food, and you can’t eat any more.
EXAMPLE: “I’m full after that four-course dinner. I couldn’t eat another thing.”


MEANING: If you’re “starving”, you’re very hungry.
EXAMPLE: “What’s for lunch? I’m starving!”


MEANING: If fruit is ripe, it’s ready to eat.
EXAMPLE: “I don’t think this avocado is ripe. It’s still really hard.”


MEANING: “Crispy” vegetables are nice and hard.
EXAMPLE: “The stir-fry had chicken, noodles and lots of crispy vegetables.”


MEANING: A “lean” piece of meat has no fat on it.
EXAMPLE: “We bought a lean cut of meat from the butcher’s.”



MEANING: “Succulent” food is soft and pleasant to the tongue.
EXAMPLE: “The lunch consisted of a succulent baked salmon with sautéed potatoes and baby carrots.”

No comments:

Post a Comment